When and How to Take ItGeneral considerations for when and how to take Sinemet include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth, usually three or four times a day.
- The protein in food can decrease the absorption of Sinemet into the body. Some healthcare providers recommended taking the drug on an empty stomach or with a low-protein diet.
- Take the medication at the same times each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Sinemet will not work if you stop taking it. Do not stop taking the drug suddenly without first talking to your healthcare provider.
Dosing InformationThe dose of Sinemet your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to the drug (especially if you develop bothersome side effects)
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Sinemet Dosage for more information.)
Side Effects of SinemetAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Sinemet. Most people tolerate it relatively well at first, especially if the dose is slowly increased. If side effects do occur, in many cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider. As time goes by, it is common for more bothersome and serious side effects to occur.
Common side effects include but are not limited to:
- Involuntary movements.
(Click Sinemet Side Effects to learn more, including potentially serious side effects you should report immediately to your healthcare provider.)