When and How to Take Sinemet CRSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Sinemet CR include the following:
- The medication comes in extended-release tablet form. It is taken by mouth usually two or three times a day.
- Do not crush or chew Sinemet CR tablets. However, the 50-200 mg tablets (but not 25-100 mg tablets) may be broken in half along the score line if necessary.
- The protein in food can decrease the absorption of Sinemet CR into the body. Some healthcare providers recommend taking this medicine on an empty stomach or with a low-protein diet.
- Make sure to take Sinemet CR at the same times each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Sinemet CR will not work if you stop taking it. Do not suddenly stop taking the drug without first talking to your healthcare provider.
Dosing InformationThe dose of Sinemet CR your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your previous dose of immediate-release Sinemet (if you were taking it)
- How you respond to Sinemet CR (especially if you develop bothersome side effects)
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
(Click Sinemet CR Dosage for more information.)