Requip XL Side Effects
Although side effects are possible with Requip XL, they tend to be minor and easily treated. Some of the most common Requip XL side effects include nausea, drowsiness, and dizziness. However, this medication can cause potentially dangerous side effects as well. Make sure to notify your healthcare provider if you develop hallucinations, an unexplained rash, or any other serious side effects of Requip XL.
An Introduction to Requip XL Side EffectsAs with any medicine, Requip® XL (ropinirole XL) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Requip XL. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Requip XL side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of Requip XLRequip XL has been thoroughly studied in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking the drug were documented and then compared to the side effects that occurred in another group of people not taking the medicine. As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common side effects of Requip XL included:
- Nausea -- in up to 19 percent of people
- Involuntary movements -- up to 13 percent
- Drowsiness -- up to 11 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 8 percent
- Hallucinations -- up to 8 percent
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain) or discomfort -- up to 7 percent
- Headaches -- up to 6 percent
- Constipation -- up to 5 percent
- Low blood pressure upon sitting or standing -- up to 5 percent.
Other common side effects (occurring in 2 to 4 percent of people) included:
- A spinning sensation (vertigo)
- Dry mouth
- Swelling or fluid retention of the lower legs, ankles, feet, or hands
- Back pain
- High blood pressure (hypertension).
Some of the studies of Requip XL combined the medication with levodopa (Sinemet®, Sinemet CR, or Parcopa®), another Parkinson's medication. It is likely that some of the listed Requip XL side effects (such as involuntary movements and hallucinations) are actually due to levodopa, as Requip XL can increase the risk of developing levodopa side effects.