When and How to Use ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Neupro include the following:
- Neupro is applied to the skin once daily. Make sure to take the old patch off before applying a new one.
- Neupro can be worn on the front of the abdomen (stomach), thigh, upper arm, flank, hip, or shoulder. Avoid areas that are oily, irritated, damaged, or will be rubbed by tight clothing. Rotate the application sites such that you do not use the same exact spot twice within two weeks.
- If you must apply the patch to a hairy area, shave the area at least three days before applying the patch.
- Press on the patch firmly for about 30 seconds when applying it, as this helps it adhere better.
- Neupro can be worn while swimming, showering, bathing, or exercising. However, do not expose the patch to excessive sunlight, saunas, or other heat sources.
- Do not cut the patch or fold it sharply, as this may cause the medication to be released too quickly.
- Do not flush a used patch, as it still contains some medication that can get into the water supply. Dispose of it by folding it in half on itself, returning it to its original pouch, and disposing of it out of the reach of children or pets.
- If a patch falls off, simply apply a new patch to be worn for the rest of the day and change your patch as usual the next day. If the edges start to peel off, it is okay to tape them down with bandaging tape.
- Make sure to change your Neupro at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the medication in your bloodstream.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Do not stop using Neupro suddenly, as withdrawal symptoms may occur.