It is possible for someone to use too much Neupro (rotigotine). Overdosing on this medicine could cause symptoms like vomiting, hallucinations, and seizures. The specific effects will depend on how much of the medicine was used and whether it was combined with other substances. Treatment will likely involve removing the patches and providing supportive care to treat any symptoms that occur.
Can You Use Too Much Neupro?Neupro® (rotigotine) is a prescription medication used to treat Parkinson's disease and restless legs syndrome (RLS). As with most medicines, it is possible to use too much Neupro.
The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Neupro dosage and whether it was used in combination with any other medications or substances.
A Neupro overdose is most likely to occur if a person puts on a new patch but forgets to take off the old patch, as the old patch still releases some medication.
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Involuntary movements
Treatment for a Neupro OverdoseIf too many Neupro patches were applied, the first step will be to remove any extra patches from the body. Neupro should not be discontinued suddenly, due to the risk of serious withdrawal symptoms.
Treatment may also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for a Neupro overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Closely monitoring the heart and lungs
- Other treatments based on the complications that occur.
Seek immediate medical attention if you believe you may have overdosed on Neupro.