Parkinsons Disease Home > Sinemet CR Side Effects
Involuntary muscle movements, nausea, and hallucinations are among the most common side effects of Sinemet CR. Side effects of this medication are usually tolerated well by most people at first. However, many people will begin to experience significant and sometimes intolerable Sinemet CR side effects after several years of use. Also, Sinemet CR can cause serious side effects that require immediate medical attention, such as seizures, difficulty swallowing, and suicidal thoughts or behaviors.
An Introduction to Sinemet CR Side EffectsAs with any medicine, Sinemet® CR (carbidopa-levodopa CR) may cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. Many people tolerate it relatively well, at least initially. If side effects do occur, they are often minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider. However, many people will begin to experience significant and sometimes intolerable Sinemet CR side effects after several years of use.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Sinemet CR. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Sinemet CR side effects with you.)
- Involuntary muscle movements (dyskinesia) -- in up to 16.5 percent of people
- Nausea -- up to 5.5 percent
- Hallucinations -- up to 3.9 percent
- Confusion -- up to 3.7 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 2.9 percent
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs, such as a bladder infection) -- up to 2.2 percent
- Headaches -- up to 2 percent.
Other common Sinemet CR side effects (occurring in 1 to 2 percent of people) included:
- Dream changes
- Involuntary muscle stiffness or contractions (dystonia)
- Upper respiratory tract infections, such as the common cold
- Back pain
- Dry mouth
- Loss of appetite
- On-off (sudden, unpredictable changes in movement, varying from typical Parkinson's movements to a complete lack of movement or "freezing," possibly occurring several times during the day)
- Shoulder pain.