Parkinsons Disease Home > Exelon Patch Dosing
Exelon Patch Dosing When Switching From Exelon Capsules or SolutionIf you currently take less than 6 mg per day of Exelon capsules or solution, the recommended Exelon Patch dosage is one 4.6-mg/24-hour patch applied once daily. If you take a higher dose, the recommended dose is one 9.5-mg/24-hour patch applied once daily.
Considerations for people using the Exelon Patch include the following:
- The Exelon Patch is applied to the skin once daily. When you put a new patch on, be sure to take the old one off.
- The Exelon Patch can be worn on the upper or lower back, upper arms, or chest. Choose an area of skin that is clean, dry, hairless, and free of irritation or cuts. Do not apply lotions, creams, powders, or makeup on the skin before or after the patch is applied. Rotate the application sites so that you do not use the same exact spot twice within two weeks.
- The patch can be worn while swimming, showering, bathing, or exercising. However, do not expose the Exelon Patch to excessive sunlight, saunas, or other heat sources.
- Do not cut the patch or fold it sharply, as this may cause the medication to be released too quickly.
- Unlike some other skin patches, it is okay to write on the patch with a thin ballpoint pen. For instance, you might want to write the day of the week on it, so you can remember if you changed the patch or not.
- Don't flush a used patch, as it still contains some medication that can get into the water supply. Dispose of it by folding it in half on itself, returning it to its original pouch, and throwing it away out of reach of children or pets.
- If a patch falls off, simply apply a new one to be worn for the rest of the day and change your patch as usual the next day.
- Be sure to change your Exelon Patch at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The Exelon Patch will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Exelon Patch dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop using the patch without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.