Parkinsons Disease Home > Artane Warnings and Precautions
Before you start taking Artane, warnings and precautions for the medication should be discussed with your healthcare provider. Since Artane can worsen certain medical conditions, you should also let him or her know about any existing conditions you may have, such as glaucoma, tardive dyskinesia, or bladder problems. People who are allergic to any components of Artane should not take the drug at all.
- Liver disease, such as liver failure, cirrhosis, or hepatitis
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Heart problems of any kind
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Difficulty passing urine
- An enlarged prostate (also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH)
- Tardive dyskinesia (a specific type of extrapyramidal symptoms due to antipsychotic medications)
- An alcohol problem
- A rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- A job that requires you to do manual labor in the heat
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant