Parkinsons Disease Home > Artane Dosage
For treating extrapyramidal symptoms (EPS) due to antipsychotic medications, the recommended starting Artane dosage is 1 mg once daily. If EPS does not improve within a few hours, your healthcare provider may choose to increase the dose as necessary. Most people will require 5 to 10 mg of Artane (total per day) to control their symptoms, although some people may get by with less.
Usually, it is recommended that the daily Artane dose be split up into three smaller doses taken at meals, or if higher doses are taken (more than 10 mg total per day), into four smaller doses per day, at meals and at bedtime.
Considerations for people taking Artane include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet and elixir form. It is taken by mouth, usually three or four times daily.
- Artane can be taken before or after meals, whichever works best for you. If dry mouth is a problem, try taking Artane before meals. For people with excessive salivation, taking it after meals can be beneficial.
- Make sure to take Artane at the same times each day to maintain an even level of medicine in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Artane will not work if you stop taking it. Do not stop taking the drug suddenly without first talking to your healthcare provider.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Artane or your Artane dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.