Parkinsons Disease Home > Apokyn Overdose
The specific effects of an Apokyn (apomorphine) overdose will vary, depending on how much of the medication was taken and whether it was taken with other substances. There has only been one reported case of an overdose on this medication, which resulted in nausea, a loss of consciousness, a low heart rate, and low blood pressure. Treatment for an Apokyn overdose may include treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
Apokyn Overdose: An IntroductionApokyn® (apomorphine hydrochloride) is an injectable prescription drug used to treat Parkinson's disease. As with any medication, it is possible to take too much Apokyn. The specific effects of an Apokyn overdose may vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Apokyn dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Symptoms of an Apokyn OverdoseThere has been one case of an Apokyn overdose. In this case, a man injected 25 mg of Apokyn (much more than the usual dose of 2 mg to 6 mg). He experienced the following overdose symptoms:
- Loss of consciousness (for about 20 minutes)
- Low heart rate (bradycardia)
- Low blood pressure (hypotension).
He fully recovered within one hour.
Treatment for an Apokyn OverdoseTreatment for an Apokyn overdose will involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for an overdose on Apokyn may include:
- Careful monitoring of the heart, blood pressure, and breathing
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Other treatments based on the complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Apokyn.