Cogentin Dosing for Parkinson's Disease
The usual starting Cogentin
dosage for treating Parkinson's disease
is Cogentin 0.5 mg to 1 mg at bedtime. If necessary, your healthcare provider may gradually increase your dose (by increments of 0.5 mg every five or six days), up to a maximum of 6 mg total per day. Some people find it more beneficial to take the entire daily dose as a single bedtime dose, while others find it works better to take several smaller doses per day.
General Information on Dosing With Cogentin
Some considerations for people taking Cogentin include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth, usually one to four times daily. It is also available in an injectable form for certain situations.
- If you take Cogentin just once a day, it is usually recommended to take it at bedtime.
- You can take Cogentin with food or on an empty stomach.
- Make sure to take Cogentin at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Cogentin will not work if you stop taking it. Do not suddenly stop taking the drug without first talking to your healthcare provider.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Cogentin dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.