Coenzyme Q10 Safety
It is a good idea to discuss any coenzyme Q10 safety concerns with your healthcare provider before taking this supplement. Be sure to tell your healthcare provider if you have any blood pressure problems, chronic health conditions, or allergies. Coenzyme Q10 safety warnings and precautions also include knowing how to choose a reputable manufacturer for your coenzyme Q10 product.
Is Coenzyme Q10 Safe? -- An OverviewCoenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is a popular dietary supplement that is used for treating a variety of health conditions, as well as for promoting general health and youthfulness. You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking coenzyme Q10 if you have:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Any chronic health condition
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medications you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Specific Coenzyme Q10 Safety Precautions and WarningsWarnings and precautions to be aware of concerning the safety of coenzyme Q10 include the following:
- Coenzyme Q10 is a dietary supplement and is, therefore, not as closely regulated as prescription or non-prescription drugs. Also, it can be marketed without any proof that it is either safe or effective. Do not assume that just because it is sold in the United States that it is automatically safe or effective.
Also, look for a coenzyme Q10 product that is made by a reputable manufacturer. Your pharmacist is a good resource for information about which manufacturers are the most reputable. It is a good sign if a manufacturer abides by the rules of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) for drugs. It is also a good sign if a product has the United States Pharmacopoeia (USP) seal, which means that the product has been independently tested and shown to contain the correct ingredients in the amounts listed on the label.
- Coenzyme Q10 may cause a decrease in blood pressure. This could be a problem if you already have low blood pressure or if you take high blood pressure medication, because combining coenzyme Q10 with blood pressure medications may increase the risk of low blood pressure.
- If you use or are planning to use coenzyme Q10 for any specific health condition, make sure to let your healthcare provider know. Not only can your healthcare provider help you monitor your progress, but he or she may also be interested in any benefits or side effects you experience.
- Coenzyme Q10 can interact with some medications (see Drug Interactions With Coenzyme Q10).
- It is not known if coenzyme Q10 supplements are safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women (see CoQ10 and Pregnancy and CoQ10 and Breastfeeding).