Artane Side Effects
Mild nausea, dizziness, and dry mouth are some of the common side effects reported with Artane. Reactions occur in up to 30 to 50 percent of people taking the medication, but they often improve over time. Some side effects that are potentially serious and should be reported to your healthcare provider include hallucinations, severe constipation, fever, and difficulty passing urine.
An Introduction to Artane Side Effects
As with any medicine, Artane® (trihexyphenidyl hydrochloride) may cause side effects. If side effects do occur, they are often minor and either require no treatment or can be treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Artane. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects of Artane
Common Artane side effects include:
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
- Mild nausea
- Mild nervousness.
As many as 30 to 50 percent of people who take Artane experience such side effects. However, these side effects often improve over time.
Serious Side Effects
Some side effects with Artane are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. Although most of these serious side effects are rare, a few may be common. These serious side effects of Artane include but are not limited to:
- Glaucoma (an eye condition)
- Fever, heatstroke, or decreased sweating
- Severe constipation (which may be a sign of an intestinal blockage)
- A rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- Difficulty passing urine
- Feeling the need to take Artane more often or at higher doses than prescribed, especially to achieve euphoric feelings
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including:
- An unexplained rash
- Swelling of the mouth or throat
- Difficulty breathing.