General considerations for when and how to take this drug include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet and elixir form. It is taken by mouth, usually three or four times daily.
- It can be taken before or after meals, whichever works best for you. If dry mouth is a problem, try taking it before meals. For people with excessive salivation, taking it after meals can be beneficial.
- Make sure to take Artane at the same times each day to maintain an even level of medicine in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it. Do not stop taking the drug suddenly without first talking to your healthcare provider.
The dosage that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- How you respond to Artane (especially if you develop side effects)
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Artane Dosage for more information.)
Common side effects of this medication include, but are not limited to:
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision (often caused by dry eyes).
(Click Artane Side Effects to learn more, including potentially serious side effects that you should report immediately to your healthcare provider.)